Pigtail Pals - Redefining Girly
So, I don’t have any kids, but I really love the mission and work of Pigtail Pals. Their mission statement (via the website) says:
Pigtail Pals is dedicated to changing the way we think about girls. Our blog educates parents on media literacy, marketing, sexualization, gender stereotypes, and body image.
Our shop offers inspiring apparel and gifts for children.
Their products are wonderful! They carry clothing items for girls and NONE of it involves princess! You can get a shirt with an astronaut, or a racecar driver, and it doesn’t even have to be pink or purple. I love it.
I also love their facebook page, because although I’m not a mom, I love their smart commentary on sexist marketing, and the stereotypes forced on us at a young age.
So if I have any momma (or poppa!) readers, you should go enter their giveaway! It involves getting your little one involved in a project about who her shero is ( you know - a female hero!)
I am in no way being paid, bribed, endorsed, or blackmailed to rant and rave about pigtail pals. Really. I just love the mission and the idea, and hope it’s a good indication of how future generations can be raised.
The Problem with The Smurfs
So, I hadn’t really thought much about The Smurf Movie. I did briefly think about how unfortunate it was that the Smurfs are mostly male. There’s just Smurfette. But like a lot of people, I’m sure, I remember watching the Smurfs when I was younger, and liking it.
But after looking at the Smurf toys that come in McDonald’s happy meals, I realized there is really a problem. The Smurf’s are all doing things that relate to their names. For example, painter Smurf is painting.
But Smurfette? Well she’s doing the girl Smurf thing. Wearing high heels and looking dainty.
This message is not new, and its not rare. Boys are often motivated to “do” and girls to just be “girly”. But what if we started rethinking it? What if when making the movie, they had added female Smurfs? Or gender neutral smurfs? Or what if Mcdonalds had an line of Smurfette doing awesome things - like scuba diving or performing open heart surgery?
What do you think?
Saturday Morning Links
- There was a lot discussion happening about the idea of a family raising a genderless baby, and the mother of baby Storm responds to the controversy via a letter, instead of feeding the crazy media frenzy. Props to her.
- That article from the Onion about the Planned Parenthood Abortionplex now has a hilarious spot on Yelp.
- A female self-proclaimed feminist that was on the jury of the NYC cop rape trial, speaks about the process and how difficult arriving at the verdict was.
- A group of three bisexual men brought a lawsuit against the Gay World Series. The men claim they were kicked out of the league for “not being gay enough”. A judge ruled that the league can keep the limited number of heterosexual players.
- Arianna Huffington talks with MSNBC about the stereotypes of strong women.
- Author VS Naipaul, a Nobel Laureate, says there are no women authors he considers his equal.